Vienna, Salzburg & Tirol Guidebook
- Rick's picks for sights, eating, sleeping
- All you need for the best of Austria
- Also includes Bratislava (Slovakia), bits of southern Bavaria (Germany), and the Dolomites (Italy)
- Stuffed with self-guided walks and museum tours for Vienna
- Includes handy full-color foldout map of Vienna
Buy your Vienna, Salzburg & Tirol Guidebook:
In Rick Steves Vienna, Salzburg & Tirol you'll find in-depth Rick-tested information on:
- Thorough city-guidebook-level coverage, including two self-guided walks/rides (city walk and Ringstrasse tram tour), four museum tours (St. Stephen's Cathedral, Hofburg Imperial Apartments, Hofburg Treasury, and Kunsthistorisches Museum), one palace tour (Schönbrunn Palace), and background on Vienna's entertainment, nightlife, and shopping offerings
- Melk and the Wachau Valley
- Mauthausen Concentration Camp Memorial
- Bratislava (Slovakia)
Salzburg and nearby
- Berchtesgaden (Germany)
- Hallstatt and the Salzkammergut Lake District
- Füssen (Germany)
- "Mad" King Ludwig's fairytale castles: Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, and Linderhof (Germany)
- Wieskirche, Oberammergau, and the Ettal Monastery (Germany)
- Reutte (Austria)
- Bolzano / Bozen
- Castelrotto / Kastelruth
- Alpe di Siusi / Seiser Alm
- Easy-to-follow maps (including color maps of Austria and central Vienna)
- Trip planning: When to go, pre-trip checklist, festivals and holidays, recommended books and movies
- Recommended two-week itinerary and city-specific advice on planning your time and avoiding lines
- Transportation: Trains, city transit, and driving (including route tips)
- Austrian and Viennese history, culture, and cuisine
- Detailed advice on managing money, communicating, reserving rooms, handling emergencies, and other helpful hints
- Handy German survival phrases
Also included: a 10¾" x 19½" full-color foldout Planning Map with a detailed close-up of Vienna's old town (with major sights), plus two zoom-outs of Greater Vienna on the back, as well as a handy schematic showing major transit lines.
|Dimensions:||8" x 4 ½" x 1"|
|Publication date:||May 2019|
|Next edition arrives:||Summer 2023|
Is This the Right Book for Me?
What's the difference between this Vienna, Salzburg & Tirol guidebook and Rick's Pocket Vienna guide?
The biggest difference: The full-size Rick Steves Vienna, Salzburg & Tirol is not only a comprehensive guide to Vienna, but also covers Rick's favorite Austrian destinations, as well as nearby Bratislava, the Bavarian Alps, and the Dolomites.
Rick Steves Pocket Vienna works best for people taking a short trip, or perhaps a return trip, to Vienna — and not venturing beyond it. Like our other Pocket guides, Pocket Vienna is smaller than the complete guidebook (and in full color) but still offers our best sightseeing advice and a handful of self-guided city walks and museum tours.
For travelers who want to delve deep into Vienna, or travel elsewhere in Austria, the full-size guidebook is a better option. It offers complete chapters for plenty more Austrian destinations, as well as more substantial (and more frequently updated) advice on Vienna itself: practicalities, sightseeing, self-guided tours, hotels, restaurants, concerts and nightlife, shopping, and the city's history and culture.
Updates and Feedback
Latest updates: When we learn of critical changes to the information in our guidebooks on Austria, we post them. (Of course, it's still smart to reconfirm critical transportation and sightseeing details locally.) Armed with a Rick Steves guidebook and these late-breaking updates, you're set for a great trip!
Submit feedback: Once you've used this book in Europe, we'd love to hear your feedback — good or bad — about our advice on sights, hotels, restaurants, and travel tips. We're also interested in any tips or discoveries you made while in Europe. Your comments help us improve our guidebooks for future travelers.