Snapshot: Munich, Bavaria & Salzburg
- Holiday Sale: 30% off through 12/15/15 or while supplies last!
- Free standard US shipping with $50 purchase!
- Just what you need for the best of southern Bavaria
- Rick's picks for sights, eating, sleeping
- Great self-guided walks and tours
- Tips for connecting each stop by train and bus or car
- Easy-to-read maps
Buy your Snapshot: Munich, Bavaria & Salzburg:
Rick Steves Snapshot: Munich, Bavaria & Salzburg contains all the complete chapters on this region, excerpted from Rick's full-size Germany guidebook — and leaves out the chapters on other German destinations. So if all you want is the best of southern Bavaria and nearby bits of Austria, this compact Snapshot guide delivers everything you'll need to know — for about half the price and half the bulk.
Inside you'll find in-depth, Rick-tested information on the best sights, hotels, and restaurants for:
- Including self-guided city walk and tours of the Residenz Museum, Residenz Treasury, Alte Pinakothek Gallery, Deutsches Museum, Nymphenburg Palace, and Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial
- Including self-guided town walk
- "Best of Bavaria"
- The King's Castles: Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles
- Linderhof castle
- Ettal Monastery and Pilgrimage Church
- Reutte (Austria)
- Salzburg (Austria)
- Including self-guided Old Town walk and self-guided tour of the Hohensalzburg Fortress
- And more
- Great self-guided walks and tours
- Easy-to-follow maps
- Transportation tips for connecting each stop by car, and bus or train
- Sidebars on the region's history, culture, and cuisine
- Handy German survival phrases
- Basic tips on managing money, communicating, reserving rooms, handling emergencies, and other helpful hints
|Dimensions:||8" x 4 ½" x ½"|
|Publication date:||January 2014 (excerpted from Rick Steves Germany 2014)|
|Next edition arrives:||February 2016|
Is This the Right Book for Me?
Should I get this Snapshot guide in addition to the full-size Rick Steves Germany guidebook?
Nope! Our Snapshot guides offer no additional information beyond what's in the larger guidebooks — they're simply excerpted chapters from our full-size guidebooks. Snapshot: Munich, Bavaria & Salzburg covers the exact same topics as the Munich, Bavaria, and Salzburg chapters of Rick Steves Germany — the same hotels, same restaurants, same sightseeing information, same everything. (Our Snapshot guides are, however, updated less frequently than our full-size guidebooks.)
What's the difference between the Rick Steves Snapshot: Munich, Bavaria & Salzburg guidebook and the Rick Steves Pocket Munich & Salzburg guide?
Our Rick Steves Pocket Munich & Salzburg guide works best for people taking a short trip, or perhaps a return trip, to Munich. Pocket Munich & Salzburg is smaller than the Snapshot guidebook (and in full color — making it a little heavier), but still offers our best sightseeing advice, self-guided city walks and museum tours, and a fold-out map.
For travelers who want to delve deep into Munich, southern Bavaria, and/or Salzburg — whether it's because they're staying longer, are visiting for the first time, and/or appreciate more thorough information — the Munich, Bavaria & Salzburg Snapshot is a better option, as it offers the complete chapters on this region, with more substantial (and more frequently updated) advice on this region: more detailed information on practicalities, sightseeing, hotels, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, and the area's history and culture.
Updates and Feedback
Latest updates: When we learn of critical changes to the information in our guidebooks on Germany, we post them. (Of course, it's still smart to reconfirm critical transportation and sightseeing details locally.) Armed with a Rick Steves guidebook and these late-breaking updates, you're set for a great trip!
Submit feedback: Once you've used this book in Europe, we'd love to hear your feedback — good or bad — about our advice on sights, hotels, restaurants, and travel tips. We're also interested in any tips or discoveries you made while in Europe. Your comments help us improve our guidebooks for future travelers.