Great Britain Guidebook
- Holiday Sale: 30% off through 12/15/19 or while supplies last!
- Free standard US shipping with $50 purchase!
- Rick's picks for sights, eating, sleeping
- In-depth coverage of our favorite destinations in England, Scotland, and Wales
- Great self-guided neighborhood walks
- Includes handy full-color foldout map
Buy your Great Britain Guidebook:
In Rick Steves Great Britain you'll find in-depth Rick-tested information on:
London and nearby
- Greater London, including Greenwich and the Docklands
- Glastonbury and Wells
- Stonehenge and Avebury
- Salisbury and nearby
- Chipping Campden and nearby
- Stow-on-the-Wold and nearby
- Moreton-in-Marsh and nearby
- Blenheim Palace
- Ironbridge Gorge
- Keswick and the North Lake District
- Ullswater Lake Area
- South Lake District
Durham and Northeast England
- Hadrian's Wall
- Beamish Museum
- Conwy and Beaumaris
- Snowdonia National Park (including Betws-y-Coed, Beddgelert, and Llanberis)
- Blaenau Ffestiniog
- Ruthin and Llangollen
- Wye Valley
Stirling and nearby
- St. Andrews
Oban and nearby
- Kilmartin Glen
- Isle of Mull
- Isle of Iona
- Isle of Staffa
- Glencoe and Fort William
- Loch Ness
Inverness and nearby
- Culloden Battlefield
- Clava Cairns
- Cawdor Castle
- Self-guided walks and museum tours
- Easy-to-follow maps (including color maps of Great Britain, West London, East London, Bath, and Edinburgh)
- Trip planning: When to go, pre-trip checklist, festivals and holidays, recommended books and movies
- Recommended three-week itinerary and city-specific advice on planning your time and avoiding lines
- Transportation: Trains, buses, city transit, and driving (including route tips)
- British history, culture, and cuisine, plus Scottish and Welsh language
- Handy British–Yankee vocabulary list
- Detailed advice on managing money, communicating, reserving rooms, handling emergencies, and other helpful hints
Also included: a 14½" x 19½" full-color foldout Planning Map that shows all of Britain and Ireland, plus key driving distances/times, and handy close-ups (showing major sights) of Edinburgh, York, the Cotswolds, Bath, and Dublin — and a large city map of London on the back. (Note: This is a slightly smaller version of Rick's stand-alone Britain & Ireland Planning Map.)
|Dimensions:||8" x 4 ½" x 1 ¼"|
|Publication date:||May 2018 (22nd edition)|
|Next edition arrives:||April 2020|
Is This the Right Book for Me?
Rick Steves Great Britain covers Scotland, Wales, and our top picks of English destinations. Both Rick Steves Best of England and the complete Rick Steves England exclude Scotland and Wales, and just focus on England (with one exception: Best of England does cover Edinburgh). While the Best Of book covers fewer destinations in England than the Great Britain book, the complete Rick Steves England covers some English destinations not included in the Great Britain guidebook (Canterbury, Dover and southeast England, Brighton, Portsmouth, Dartmoor, Cornwall, Oxford, Blackpool, and some of North Yorkshire).
If you're going to Scotland as well as some of the destinations that are covered in our England books but not covered in the bigger Great Britain book, you could opt to forgo the Great Britain book and instead supplement your England book with Rick Steves Scotland. (If Edinburgh is your only stop in Scotland, you could instead grab Rick Steves Snapshot: Edinburgh.)
If you're spending only a few days in London, Rick Steves Great Britain is all you're likely to need.
If, however, you're spending four days or more in London, the extra information in Rick Steves London can be worthwhile. It offers more in-depth sightseeing information, several additional self-guided city walks and museum/sight tours, and more specifics on shopping and nightlife, plus activities for kids. Other information is generally the same — the London chapter of Rick Steves Great Britain has nearly all the hotels, restaurants, and nitty-gritty practical advice for London that you'll find in the Rick Steves London guidebook.
It would make less sense to supplement Rick Steves Great Britain with the smaller Pocket London guide, which includes just one walk and one museum tour more than what's included in the London chapter of the Rick Steves Great Britain guidebook, but otherwise offers far more limited coverage of the city's sights, hotels, and restaurants.
Updates and Feedback
Latest updates: When we learn of critical changes to the information in this guidebook, we post them. (Of course, it's still smart to reconfirm critical transportation and sightseeing details locally.) Armed with a Rick Steves guidebook and these late-breaking updates, you're set for a great trip!
Submit feedback: Once you've used this book in Europe, we'd love to hear your feedback — good or bad — about our advice on sights, hotels, restaurants, and travel tips. We're also interested in any tips or discoveries you made while in Europe. Your comments help us improve our guidebooks for future travelers.